Internship Positions at the Arab Forum for Environment and Development (AFED)
The Arab Forum for Environment and Development (AFED) is a regional not-for-profit, non-governmental, membership-based organization, located in Beirut, Lebanon. Using research and public education, AFED promotes public policies and institutional capacity that achieve sustainable development in Arab countries. Since 2007, AFED has provided a unique public forum to educate, inform, and advocate by focusing on strong science and partnerships. The main product of AFED is an annual expert report on Arab environment, tracking developments and proposing policy measures. Other initiatives include a regional corporate environmental responsibility program, capacity building for Arab civil society organizations, public awareness, and environmental education.
AFED offers internships to highly motivated students and young professionals with good academic qualifications. The internship is a practical educational experience which helps the intern conceive, develop, and implement environmental programs. Interns are assigned projects and tasks that are relevant to their educational background. The internship program also affords interns the opportunity to develop a more profound understanding of the challenges of environmental sustainability in Arab countries. Internships are offered for a period of three to six months.
The intern will work with AFED staff to plan, develop, and implement activities that support AFED's multiple programs. Functions may include conducting research, analyzing policies, preparing reports, as well as, developing material which may be used in reports, publications, workshops, presentations, websites, and proposals.
- Designing and implementing programs
- Conducting research and analysis to identify relevant policy questions and justify solutions.
- Preparing outreach material as needed.
- Drafting proposals, contributing to the annual report, and other reports as necessary.
Candidates should meet the criteria for selection listed on the next page; should be university graduates, or in the final stages of their university education. In addition, candidates should have a good academic record and a demonstrated interest in the environment and its sustainability.
Criteria for Selection
- University degree in a related field, such as environmental management, engineering, economics, political studies, public administration, computer science, database management, sciences, business administration, media or journalism. Graduates of other disciplines may also be considered.
- Strong interest in environmental problems in Arab countries.
- Project management experience, including preparing work plans and, managing timelines.
- Good writing and communication skills in English and Arabic.
- A good standard of computer literacy (especially Microsoft Office applications).
- Creativity, team-work, integrity and reliability.
How to apply
Candidates can submit the "Internship Application Form" to AFED Secretariat, by email to: email@example.com, or by mail to AFED, P.O. Box 113-5474, Beirut, Lebanon.
A 400 word statement in English explaining the candidate's reasons for seeking an internship placement with AFED
Copy of university degree(s)
Copy of transcript of record.
Insurance coverage, including hospitalization for the entire duration of the internship period.
Authorized residency in Lebanon for non-Lebanese applicants.
The incumbent is expected to cover travel and living expenses in Lebanon. Those accepted for internship at AFED can apply for scholarships from universities or organizations and will receive support from AFED to facilitate this process. AFED will not provide funding, but might under special conditions consider stipends to interns.
DOWNLOAD THE APPLICATION FORM